I’m very excited to share with you my first post!!
I hope you’re sitting comfortably (preferably with a brew and a biscuit) ready for the first instalment of GirlPower.
Okay then I will begin.
Today I want to look at self care. Lately I have come to realise just how important it is to take that time for yourself, to have your nails done, to learn a new hobby or skill, to travel, explore, spend time by yourself, (yes you heard me right alone!) with friends and family. In this blog I am going to look at some of those things in a bit more detail.
How often do we actually stop and take the time we need for ourselves?! We’re getting busier each day with things like social media taking up a lot of our time. How much time do we spend scrolling up and down, liking, commenting, sharing etc. Now I have nothing against the internet or social media otherwise I wouldn’t have started this blog but let’s think about what would actually make us happier. Is it that funny meme your friend shared with you on Facebook or is it meeting up with that friend to go shopping? Let’s leave all of the compare and despair behind and start thinking about what you could do, what action could you take?
I’m giving you permission to turn your phone off (or put into flight mode at least) to ignore those messages, emails and notifications for as long as you need. As great as modern day communication is we don’t need all of this information all of the time. Your messages aren’t going anywhere so when you’ve had enough give yourself a break. Nobody needs you to reply that very second (unless it’s an emergency but if it is then they will find another way to contact you).
See I think if we all took the time we needed to live our dream lives then the world would be a lot nicer place. If you took the time for yourself then you are more likely to be in a better place mentally, emotionally and physically which means you’re going to be nicer and more willing to help.
I’m on my way to living my dream life and I hope that you will join me. Of course nothing is perfect and it takes hard work.
Okay let’s move on to something a bit more practical now and look at some of the things I try to do as often as I can:
1) I take care of my appearance by doing my hair, makeup, buying new clothes and having my nails done etc. It’s not all about how you look but as I’m sure most of you girls know if you’re not looking good then the chances are you’re not feeling good;
2) I celebrate my successes even small things like getting through a bad day;
3) I write in my journal, getting my thoughts onto paper and by practicing gratitude. Did you know that you can always find something to be grateful for. We spend so much time moaning that we forget how lucky we are. The universe is more likely to listen to what we want if we have a positive vibes;
4) I also try to repeat affirmations daily, e.g I am available for happiness and success;and
5) Finally I try to make sure I get enough sleep.
Now that’s a brief overview into self care and in the upcoming posts I will spend more time talking about the things I do but for now I hope that it has got you thinking. I want to inspire and empower women. So stop saying you can’t or you don’t deserve it and start looking at:
- Who do you want to be?
- What do you want your life to look like?
- How do you look after yourself?
Please feel free to comment below on anything that I have mentioned or on what you would like to see in future posts!!